Friday, January 02, 2004

2003 in Summary.

The clock has struck 12:00 once again and another year is upon us. Every year simply flies, but that’s to look forward to because it means that we’re still young! The past year (2003) has been a most unorthodox, both academically and situation-wise.

First of all, 2003 was a milestone year, not only for me, but for all people my age, for it marks the beginning of the final phase of formal education so to speak. We all had to leave the comforting environment of secondary school that we were so familiar with, and venture into a new compound, having to make friends all over again, and getting used to the new lecture system.

I first heard that I was getting into Anderson Junior College for the first three months while I was in Taiwan. Not a surprise, since I placed it as my first choice. I guess the reason behind my choosing that school is because, having been at the Bukit Timah region for 10 years, I was truly sick of the surroundings, not to mention the Coronation food. Also, I earned to see more unfamiliar faces, as although having people around you whom you know since primary school is a blessing in itself, it sometimes does get quite monotonous.

Initially I was quite uncomfortable in the heartland environment – the people, they seemed uncouth and quite rowdy. Not that those are necessarily bad qualities, but I was simply just not used to it. However, along the way, I met a lot of interesting people, namely Amir (roll the ‘r’s!), Vanayak (Smith), Edwin (the Takashi Kaneshiro looky-likey cum hello dude), Shuming (Jay Chou fanatic) and Nabilah (gosh I miss her hearty laugh). Amir, Vanayak and Nabilah especially made Orientation a lot more fun, with their totally insane antics and hilarious jokes. Edwin too was incredibly sweet, the way he’d run over to wave hello every time I was in the vicinity. Oh, and did I mention, he’s a KILLER at tennis too? Hehe.

I had the fortune to be grouped in one of the most cooperative and fun class, 1103. Despite all of us being Chinese, we had a great variety of people, from all different walks of life. It is there that I got to know different problems people faced. Usually in NYGH people worry about not being able to get into the top colleges, but over there in AJC the worry is that they will end up in polytechnics. A different world, truly, but beautiful nevertheless. We had a class gang too, the Meh-Meh Gang (think sheep). Sie Yieh was the ever-amused lao-da, and I was the artistic director.

My best friends during the entire time in AJC were Keitmin and Ho Kuen. It was hilarious how the few words Keitmin and I exchanged initially suddenly exploded into long talks after she discovered that I could speak mandarin. We were Siamese Twins, Keitmin and I, doing everything together and after getting to know Ho Kuen, a happy threesome. We’d sneak into the computer labs during lesson for a hearty game for Neopets. Now, this happens during economics lectures and tutorials because Miss Cat has no idea what she talks about most of the time.

We also had our little class drama. Mr Toh, our form teacher, had a great argument with Mei Mei, the class belle over the issue of hair-dyeing. In fact, at one point Mei Mei was suspended, and it was only through sheer persuasion that we managed to get her back into school. What was really irritating, however, was that Mr Toh was an avid supporter of Mr Chen Water Flat, and would insult Mr Horsey during his lessons, which, obviously, got Joling and I mighty fed up. One day it was so bad that we shouted back at him and stormed out of class. Not that he could do anything about it of course!

After the first three months, I transferred to HCJC (the top JC in Singapore no less, hah!) and begin the entire process of making new friends, getting to know new people. Although I was not offered a leadership role in the college orchestra due to my being a second-intaker, I still pretty much enjoyed being part of the best Chinese orchestra in Singapore (JC-level) =) We don’t just make music folks, we LIVE it! Getting to know the new class 03S71 was also a blessing – I am glad to have gotten to know this new group of people, very different, but yet so alike.

Then came the rampage of exams and tests. Which is pretty much self-explanatory, especially if you are from HCJC yourself. I believe the details will only bore everyone, if not reduce me to a writing, hair-plucking mess. So for the well-being of all, I will skip it. Just for the books, I got promoted! Now isn’t that just wonderful?

Now, in terms of new experiences, 2003 certainly had much to offer. Within the period of one year, I volunteered at the Bird Park, Family Day, helped organize a concert for disabled teens with the class, sold flags, looked for a job, taught piano, tutored English, and sold uniforms! Not to mention that I made more new friends this year than the past few years =) Also, I spent Christmas in Singapore for the first time, and oh yes, was made part time cook and maid for 3 weeks. Oh, and ROTK was this year too, and Pilifire! I remembered a few more things earlier on, but they all slipped my mind at this moment. Ah well.

In many ways 2003 could have been a better year, but in many other ways it was perfect. Admittedly, it is one of my worst years, but on the other hand, it means that 2004 will be better! It has got to be, for this year I will turn a merry 18 (after which ageing occurs) and take part in the various hazardous-to-health symbol-of-age rituals! Go back to Taiwan! Enter University! Learn to move on gasoline! Whoopeeedoooooooo.


The Not-Quite-SO-Girly Shoutouts!

Serena: I know perhaps our knowledge of each other has faltered throughout the year due to us being in different college, but I hope (and believe!) our friendship still remains strong! And ever will be… because you’re a truly great friend to have. If there’s anything in 2003 that made you unhappy, may it be better this year! Away with heinous bitches and fake socialites! PS: I WILL WRITE TO YOU ASAP!!

JieYing: HEYYY! Old buddy old pal! I so enjoy the convos we have almost every day without fail in school. Class bench chatter is always the most conducive for digging gossips (although I officially retire) and sharing, wouldn’t you say? Our shopping trips have also been quite quite successful (remember the $50 day?) although our shop search didn’t quite make the cut hehe. Glad we found out more about each other through those lovely letters! I think you’ll like what I got for your pressie… may I give it to you earlier? Hehe.

S&J&Kai: WE MUST MUST MUST GO ON A TRIP TOGETHER AGAIN! Genting was so fun… I really miss those days of secondary 1 bunking too… do you all remember?

Sharon: Ahoy matey! Loved the shoe-shopping we did today, though we only got flipflops. Hehe. Girl you are totally crazzzy about mules! =) Please do buy that lovely pair of strappies at Americana! Awesome being in the same class as you – you are just too nice!! Hehe be EVIL!! @@ Oh yeah, and don’t let certain matters get you down. Remember that those people are only pit stops in your life’s journey… squat, let lose and continue on with a load less heavy! Hehehe oh my, would that make it into the book of new phrases?

Janice: AHMA!!! Hehee. We call you that because we love and respect you =) Dedicated and focused.. aw what can I say? The super woman of tomorrow, friendly fellow librarian of today. Love ya! And oh, arghh we do need to work on internet communication!

Mich: ive never met a girl as full as grrrl power as you! Superb stuff! And the way you do your homework in one hour – how on EARTH did you accomplish that??? Hehe. Its so nice to have you as my friend! =) Yay! Onward to high quality men lol =)


All: HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home